It’s time. We’ve discussed this forever. But submissions are finally open for the first ever Moms Who Write anthology! Our friends at Our Galaxy Publishing have been a huge support from the beginning and will be alongside us as we build something beautiful. All of the proceeds will be donated to the Imagination Library. If you haven’t read about them, they’re awesome.
This is open for short stories, essays, poetry, art, and photography.
The goal is to tell your story. We want to reflect the reality of momming and being a woman right now. There are so many who are where you are and need to hear your stories. How you’re doing the thing. How you maybe didn’t do the thing, but learned from it.
Here are some ideas:
- Career shifts. Maybe you left a job. Maybe you ended up somewhere you never thought you’d be. Who knows. Regardless, this is an important part of our story and can change the trajectory of our lives. Let’s hear it.
- Motherhood journeys. Some of you never thought you’d be a mom. Or you never thought you’d have so many kids. Some of you really wanted to be a mom and it was harder than you thought it would be. Honesty is critical—you aren’t the first person to feel this way, so tell us what your experience was like.
- Deconstruction. Maybe you struggled with society and the demands of other people. Things you thought you were supposed to do or not supposed to do. How did you tear them apart? Are you afraid to pull at that thread?
- Hope and expectations. Life throws us a million curve balls. How did you adjust? How did you redefine what success was for you? Are you struggling to do that? What is something you always thought you needed but realized that life is fine—or better—without it?
- Your why. Why are you writing? Why are there stories you have to tell? Or why do you make art? What are you building?
There is no minimum word count, but try to keep it under 3k words.
Submit by filling out the Google form here. Submissions will be open through Dec. 31, 2021. Unfortunately, we will not be able to publish every submission.
We’re so excited to go on this journey with you! Thanks for sharing your words with us for the first ever Moms Who Write anthology!